1-on-1 Math Tutor
Our test preparation and academic tutoring firm are searching for a dynamic educator to join the team. The ideal candidate has great enthusiasm for teaching and learning, confidence with high-stakes testing and educational standards, and impeccable professionalism and organizational skills.
Our mission is to use 1:1 tutoring to change the way students approach their education. We work to build confidence, skill, and independence in our students through expert and enthusiastic teaching, well-informed by research in education and educational psychology. While we are independent and hold our own high standards of success, we also work closely with schools, teachers, and the community at large to ensure students achieve their best. We are currently a small and hyper-local company with a strong word of mouth reputation in the community.
As an organization, we are equally committed to the professional growth of our team members and hope to find a colleague ready to build a fantastic career in education.
Objectives of the Role
- Serve as academic math mentor for students grades 6-12.
- Create a positive learning environment for student growth and engagement. Communicate confidence and enthusiasm for learning math.
- Coach students to use learning strategies that work best for their learning style.
- Set and achieve learning goals in collaboration with students, parents, and company team.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Genuinely enthusiastic about teaching and learning.
- Confident with the 6th-12th grade math curriculum.
- Professional, well-organized, tech-savvy, and skilled in verbal and written communicator.
- Able to demonstrate leadership and collaboration skills. Successful as a teacher with examples of past successes with students.
- Team-oriented and willing to meet the needs of our parents and students with flexibility and responsiveness.
- Confident around high-stakes testing.
- Comfortable using digital tools such as Google Docs and Sheets..
- Able to commit to a full year of teaching at least 15 hours per week.
- Able to work evenings and weekends during the school year.
- Able to travel to students’ homes.
- Track record of success teaching students with learning differences.
- SAT/ACT/ISEE/SSAT tutoring experience.
- A proven curriculum and program for academic and test preparation tutoring.
- High levels of support within our organization.
- Respect for teacher autonomy and creative problem-solving.
- Competitive rates of pay, opportunities to build a career within our growing organization.
- The opportunity to work with great families, students, and schools.
- Beautiful teaching spaces in Menlo Park.